There’s nothing more annoying than having to open an app over and over because it keeps going back to the home screen. This issue happens in both old and new Android phones, but it’s more common in older Android versions.
When an app suddenly stops and keeps going back to the home screen, it means that the app has crashed. The first thing to try is the classic restart. Restarting the phone clears the RAM and halts all running programs. In most cases, that automatically resolves the application crashing issue.
Since the issue is caused by various reasons, the same solution doesn’t always work for everyone. If restarting the phone doesn’t help, then there are a few other solutions that you can try. In this article, we discuss four ways that you can stop your Android phone from going back to the home screen.
- Why does my Android phone keep taking me back to Home screen?
- How do you stop apps from closing on Android?
- Why does my iPhone keep going back to home Screen?
- How do I stop my iPhone from going back to home screen?
- Why are all my games crashing on my phone?
- Google app keeps turning off and going back to Home screen
- My Huawei phone keeps going back to the Home screen
See also: Why Is My Home Button Gone On Android?
Why does my Android phone keep taking me back to Home screen?
The two major reasons why your phones keep going back to the home screen are:
- Lack of storage space: insufficient storage capacity in the phone can overload the internal memory, especially when you’re using a heavy app.
- Internet connectivity: unstable or slow WiFi or cellular connections also cause apps to malfunction.
How do you stop apps from closing on Android?
There are a few fixes to stop apps from closing on your Android. However, before moving forward:
- Make sure that your Android device software is up-to-date.
- Your phone should also have adequate storage capacity to handle the heavy applications you’re running.
- A stable internet connection is also required by some apps to operate smoothly.
Solution 1: clear cache and app data
Every application in your mobile has cache and app data, which can often lead to apps not responding and freezing.
To clear cache and app data in your Android:
- Go to mobile Settings > Apps.
- Scroll down the list of apps and find the one having issues.
- Successively select the following:
- Storage > Clear Data
- Storage > Clear Cache
Solution 2: free up storage space on your device
If your phone’s storage space is running out, then apps are likely to freeze out of the blue. The solution is to free up storage space in your device.
To free storage space on your Android device:
- Open mobile Settings > Apps.
- Scroll down the list of apps and clear cache and data for any application with excessive storage.
- If you have any extra unnecessary applications, then uninstall.
To uninstall an application on your Android device:
- Go to Settings > Apps.
- Select the app in the list and tap Uninstall.
Solution 3: reinstall the application
Another approach is to try uninstalling the app and reinstall it afresh.
To reinstall an Android application:
- Uninstall the app by following the steps in the last section.
- Open Google Play Store, search for the application, and click install.
Solution 4: reset Your mobile device
The last resort is to reset your smartphone. Since this step deletes all your files and applications, be sure to try the other three solutions before this one.
To factory reset your mobile:
- Go to Settings, search for Factory Reset, and Erase all Data.
Why does my iPhone keep going back to home Screen?
A springboard crash issue happens when your iPhone keeps going back to the home screen. The issue started happening with a lot of iPhones after the iOS 11.2 update.
Here are a few reasons why your iPhone keeps going back to the home screen:
- Certain issues with the iOS Settings can crash your iPhone.
- Local notifications from scheduled app alerts can also take you back to the home screen.
- Incorrect date and time settings can conflict with a number of functions causing your iPhone to crash.
- Software conflicts (two similar software) can also freeze and crash.
- (Very rarely) system damage can cause your iPhone to go back to the home screen.
See also: iPhone Not Opening Apps From Links
How do I stop my iPhone from going back to home screen?
There are a few ways to stop your iPhone from going back to the home screen. We will start with the most basic solutions and make way to more advanced ones. If your issue is resolved, stop and do not try the next solution.
Solution 1: force restart your iPhone
The first solution to most tech issues is to restart the device. The method to force restart is different in old and latest iPhones.
To Force Restart iPhone 8, X, XR, XS, 11, and 12
- Press and swiftly release the volume up, and volume down buttons.
- Press and hold the side button and release it when the Apple logo appears on the screen.
To Force Restart iPhone 7 and 7 Plus
- Hold the volume down and side buttons together for a few seconds.
- Release the buttons when the Apple logo appears on the screen.
To Force Restart iPhone 6 and Earlier
- Hold the power and home buttons together for a few seconds.
- Release both buttons when you see the Apple logo on the screen.
Solution 2: Update to the Latest iOS version
If an iOS update is available and you haven’t updated your device, then doing so may well fix the issue. To update your phone’s iOS:
- Open Settings > General > Software Update.
- Tap on Download and Install to update your iOS.
Solution 3: turn off app notifications
If your iPhone is crashing because of app notifications, then you don’t have to uninstall the application. Simply turning off app notifications will suffice.
To turn off app notification in your iPhone:
- Go to Settings > Notifications.
- Tap on the application for which you want to block notifications.
- Next, turn off Allow Notifications to disable all notifications for that app.
Solution 4: automatically set date and time
Incorrect date and time settings often cause issues like iPhone going back to the home screen. Setting a date and time to automatic will resolve the issue.
To automatically set date and time:
- Open Settings > General > Date & Time.
- Toggle on Set Automatically.
Solution 5: reset your iPhone settings
If there’s an issue with your iPhone settings causing it to freeze, then resetting can solve the problem.
To reset your iPhone settings:
- Go to Settings > General > Reset.
- Tap on Reset All Settings.
See also: Why Do My Apps Randomly Install?
Why are all my games crashing on my phone?
Mobile games, especially games like NFS and PUBG, require significant resources. It’s pretty common for phones to crash when you’re playing a heavy-duty game, particularly on low-end mobile phones.
Let’s take a look at the main reasons why games crash on your phone and how to resolve the issue.
Not enough memory or storage space in your mobile is the major reason behind app crashes. When playing games, this issue becomes more frequent.
To avoid this, free up space in your mobile for the game to run smoothly. That includes both RAM and ROM.
if you’re running multiple programs in the background, then close each one before starting the game and see if the issue is resolved.
No matter how good a game is, it’s nearly impossible to be compatible with every device. Sometimes, the phone’s hardware specifications like the GPU are incompatible with the game.
In that case, the only solution is to report the issue and try playing the game on a different mobile phone instead.
No one can handle all variables, and unexpected errors can always happen. Even if the phone is compatible and has adequate memory, you might run into a network issue.
For example, your WiFi may go away in the middle of a file download, leading to corrupt game files.
If you’re constantly running into issues with a specific game, then uninstalling the app and re-downloading all files can often solve the problem.
Google app keeps turning off and going back to Home screen
Google app works like pretty much any other app on your phone. It may keep shutting off and going back to the home screen if it’s not up-to-date. The updates are usually installed automatically, but if they don’t, you can simply update the app manually.
- Go to Settings > Apps & Notifications.
- Scroll down the list of apps, select Google Play Services, and open App Details.
- Tap Update or Install.
My Huawei phone keeps going back to the Home screen
After the launch of the Huawei P20 Pro, many users complained about the device freezing and returning to the home screen. To resolve the issue, Huawei has provided the following solutions:
Use the original charger
Huawei recommends using the original charger and data cable to charge the phone. Using an unstable power supply affects the voltage, which in turn, results in screen jumping.
Enable NFC on the phone
If your Huawei phone supports NFC, then enabling it in the settings can improve game performance.
To enable NFC settings, swipe down from the status bar, and tap on NFC. if you can’t find it in the shortcuts, then go to settings, search for NFC, and enable it.
If you can’t find NFC in the settings either, this may indicate your phone doesn’t support that feature.
Uninstall Lock Screen Apps
Third-party lock screen apps can sometimes conflict with Huawei’s built-in screen lock screen feature. Uninstall these apps to ensure a smooth gaming experience.
Check for magnetic fields around your phone
If the phone going back to home screen issue happens at a particular location, there may be magnetic fields around you. Try using the phone in a different location and see if the issue goes away.
Update your device software
It’s critical to check and update your phone if there is a new version of software update (system update) available. If so, back up your mobile data and update your phone to the latest version.
Restore to factory settings
Restoring your phone to factory settings is the way to go if nothing else works. Be sure to back up your data before doing a factory reset. If it doesn’t resolve the issue, then head over to the Huawei Customer Service Center with proof of purchase for further assistance.
App crashing and mobile going back to home screen issues generally happen for the same reasons. Work your way from the top and try all the solutions discussed. Likewise, if you’re having issues with games, try the solutions given in the app crash section.
I hope these steps will help you resolve the issue. If not, the issue may be particular to your device or application. In which case, reporting directly to the manufacturer or developer can be the best way to go.