Have you blocked a number on your iPhone or Android phone and are still getting texts from them? Why is this so and what can you do?
You may get text messages from a blocked number for a few reasons:
- OS bug: try updating Android
- The number isn’t blocked for messages/SMS: check your Messages settings
- A third-party blocking app is installed: use a different one
- The blocking service of the carrier has expired: contact your carrier
- Can you still receive texts from a blocked number?
- Can text messages be blocked on Android?
- Why do I still get messages from a blocked number on iPhone?
- What happens when a number you blocked sends you a text?
- How do I know if someone blocked me from text messaging on their phone?
- How do you send a text to a person who has blocked your number?
- How do I stop spam text messages with Verizon?
Can you still receive texts from a blocked number?
If you block a person’s number, you will no longer receive texts and calls from that person. You would need to unblock the number to start receiving text messages and calls again.
If you are still getting texts from a blocked number, you may have blocked the number for calls through your Phone app settings. You also need to block the number using the settings of your text messaging app.
However, this also depends on what smartphone you have. Many models allow you to block numbers for both calls and messages.
How do I stop getting blocked texts?
If you are getting texts from a blocked number, you need to ensure that you have blocked the number in the settings of the messaging app. Here’s how to check:
- Go to Settings > Messages > Blocked Contacts.
- Make sure your blocked contact/number appears in the list.
- Open Google Messages app.
- Tap the three dots > select “Spam & Blocked”.
- Tap the three dots again > select “Blocked Contacts”.
- Your blocked number should be listed here.
Can text messages be blocked on Android?
You can block text messages on your Android device to stop getting text messages from any particular number.
The steps for blocking text messages depends on the app you use for sending and receiving text messages, usually through the app’s settings. Many messaging apps have this feature. See the preceding section for how to block text in Google Messages.
How do I permanently block text messages on my Android?
Here’s how you can block text messages on your Android phone using the Google Messages app:
- Open Google Messages.
- Long press on the conversation > tap on the three dots
- Choose “Block”.
- In the confirmation popup, check the box if you also want to report spam with Google.
- Tap OK
If you use Samsung Messages, here’s how to block text messages:
- Open Samsung Messages.
- Tap on a conversation.
- Tap on the three dots > select “Block Number”.
- Optionally choose to delete the conversation.
- Tap “Block” to confirm
Why do I still get messages from a blocked number on iPhone?
You may still get messages from a blocked number on your iPhone due to an OS issue, e.g. after upgrading to iOS 14.
Apart from upgrading the phone’s OS, you can try the following to stop getting texts from blocked numbers:
1. Do a soft reset and then block the contact
- Perform a soft reset on your iPhone. While the steps vary across different iPhone models, here are the steps for iPhone 11:
- Press the volume up key, then the volume down key
- Press and hold the side key until the Apple logo appears
- Wait for the device to reboot. Your data will not be deleted.
- Save the number you want to block as a contact.
- Block the number in the list of contacts on your iPhone.
2. Unblock a number and block it again
You can also attempt to unblock a number from your contact list and block it again:
- Open the Phone app > tap Contacts.
- Find the contact you want to unblock.
- Scroll down and tap “Unblock This Caller”.
- Tap on “Block This Caller” to block the number again.
3. Turn on “Filter Unknown Senders”
The setting to filter messages from unknown senders (senders not in your contact list) might be turned off. This option will list messages in a separate “Unknown Senders” tab in the message list:
- Go to Settings > Messages.
- Toggle on “Filter Unknown Senders”.
What happens when a number you blocked sends you a text?
If you have blocked someone and they send you a text from their number, you will normally not receive the text on your phone. Even if they have successfully sent the message, it will not be delivered on your device.
As a result, the message won’t be marked as delivered on the sender’s phone.
The result is the same whether your device is an iPhone or an Android device, including a Samsung Galaxy.
If someone blocks my phone number, will my texts still look like they’re going through?
If someone has blocked you and you try to text them, it will look as if your text went through even though the other person will not receive the text on their device.
However, on your device the message you sent will not show the “delivered” status. .
How do I know if someone blocked me from text messaging on their phone?
There is no clear-cut method to determine whether someone has blocked you from text messaging on their phone. You also don’t get any notification about it.
However, there are certain signs that can possibly indicate you have been blocked:
1. Text messages fail to deliver
If you text a person who has blocked you, your message will look as if it went through normally on your side, however it will fail to deliver to the user.
If you use an iPhone, you’ll likely use iMessage. In that app, you won’t see a delivered notification under the message, which may be an indication that you have been blocked.
However, there could also be other reasons for the message not being delivered, such as the recipient’s device being powered off, or an unavailable network.
2. Calls go to voicemail
You can try to call the other person who may have blocked you. If you get one ring and your call goes to voicemail after that, it could mean that your number has been blocked, and this likely applies to your text messages as well..
If you also keep getting a prerecorded message saying the number is unavailable or out of service, unless the recipient is traveling or has changed his/her number, this could also be a sign your number was blocked.
Again, if your calls are blocked, it’s likely your texts will be as well.
3. Call from someone else’s phone
Another way to check if someone has blocked you is to call that person from someone else’s phone instead of your phone. If you’re able to call the person from the alternate number and not from your own number, it’s a good sign they have blocked your number.
Chances are your texts will also be blocked from that person’s number.
See also: Text Message Sent But Not Delivered?
How do you send a text to a person who has blocked your number?
If a person has blocked you on their phone, your texts won’t get delivered to their phone. You can attempt the following approaches to get your message through the person:
1. Use anonymous texting websites
There are many free anonymous texting websites that you can use to send a message to a phone number without using your own number. You can simply enter a phone number and write and send a text message. Here are some examples:
Many of these websites don’t even ask for signing up with a username and password.
2. Use WhatsApp
You can send a message over WhatsApp even if someone has blocked you for normal text messages.
Two ticks will be displayed next to your message once it is delivered to the recipient’s device – they will turn blue when the message is read.
3. Does *67 allow a blocked caller to send messages?
You can dial *67 before entering the number to hide the caller ID when placing a call. This allows making a call even if the person has blocked you. The call will show up without caller ID and is usually labeled from an unknown or private number.
However, you can still leave voicemail messages using *67 if the person doesn’t receive the call.
How do I stop spam text messages with Verizon?
Spam texts refer to those messages that are unwanted and usually sent to a large number of people. If your carrier is Verizon and you use an iPhone or Android device, here’s how you can stop spam text messages:
- Navigate to Settings > Messages.
- Scroll down and enable “Filter Unknown Senders”.
On Android devices
- Open the messaging app (e.g. Google Messages).
- Tap on the three dots > Settings.
- Navigate to General Settings > Spam Protection.
- Toggle on “Enable Spam Protection”
Use Verizon services
You can also use the Verizon Call Filter app to block spam texts, available for both Android and iOS devices.
You can also enable the service as an add-on on the My Verizon app or the carrier’s website. There is a free version and a paid one ($2.99 per month for one line).
You can also block specific spam texts for up to 5 phone numbers free for 90 days – enable this in your My Verizon Account.
What message does Verizon give to blocked numbers?
Previously when you blocked a number on Verizon and that person sent you a text message, the sender got the reply “VZW FREE MSG: You cannot send messages to the destination that is blocked by the owner”.
When a blocked person made a call, they heard a message saying “Welcome to Verizon Wireless. The number you were trying to reach has calling restrictions which have prevented the completion of your call”.
This is no longer the case today and no such messages are sent to a blocker user.
Now when you block someone on Verizon and they text you, it will simply fail to deliver. If the person calls you, the call will be sent to voicemail automatically.