If you like to multitask while on a call, you may know it is possible to text and talk on an iPhone at the same time.
As long as you have your wireless headphones on, or have speakerphone mode on, you can easily maintain a call while also answering a text.
- How can I check my text messages while on a call?
- How do you send a text while talking on iPhone?
- How do you send a busy text message when on a call?
- How do I hear notifications on my iPhone during a call?
- Why can’t I hear my texts when I’m on the phone?
- Why does my iMessage not work when I’m on the phone?
- Do iMessages deliver when talking on the phone?
- iMessages are sent as text messages when I’m on a call
- Can I play a recording while on the phone?
- How do you open an app while talking on iPhone?
- How do I go to Home screen on iPhone during call?
- Can you talk and text at the same time on T Mobile?
- Can you iMessage while on FaceTime?
How can I check my text messages while on a call?
You can check your text message while on a call by pressing the Home button if your iPhone has one.
If your iPhone doesn’t have a Home button, while on the call screen, tap on the bar at the bottom of the call screen and swipe up.
The call screen will go out of view, but you will know you are still on the call as long as you see a green bar on the top left of your screen. Tap that green bar whenever you want to go back to the call screen.
With the call screen out of the way, you’re free to do anything on your iPhone such as watch videos, listen to music, take a photo, and yes, check your text messages.
How do you send a text while talking on iPhone?
While you’re on a call, press the Home button if your iPhone has one, tap the bar at the bottom of the call screen and swipe up to go back to your Home screen.
Once you have hidden your call screen, tap Messages, select the person you want to send a text to, type in your text message and send it to them as normal.
As long as the call screen is out of view, you will have no issues sending a text while talking on the iPhone, and the message will go through normally.
How do you send a busy text message when on a call?
If you’re on a call and want to send a busy text message to the next person calling you, you can tap on the Message button on the incoming caller’s screen and choose any of the default options available on the screen.
However if you want to set up something more personalized for the next time you receive a call while on another call or while you are too busy to pick up, here’s how to do it before you get on a call:
- Go to Settings > Phone
- Choose “Respond with Text”
There will be 3 custom responses you can choose from, and you can edit any of them to your liking.
After you do this, whenever you get a phone call that you’re too busy to answer or if you’re already on a call, you can simply tap the Message button on the incoming call screen and the custom responses will appear for you to automatically choose from.
Note that these will be sent as text messages, which you may be charged for based on your carrier plan.
How do I hear notifications on my iPhone during a call?
To hear notifications on your iPhone while on a call, you need to ensure your device is not in Silent Mode or Do Not Disturb mode.
To turn off Silent Mode:
- Move the Silent switch located on the left of your device above the volume buttons
- You will know Silent Mode is off if there is no orange showing on the Silent Switch
To turn off Do Not Disturb setting:
- Slide down the top right of your screen
- Look for the crescent moon symbol on the left side of the screen
- If the crescent moon is purple, it means the Do Not Disturb setting is on
- Tap on it again to turn it off.
You can also set up a preferred alert sound for messages so you can hear the notifications better while you’re on a call. Here’s how to do it:
- Go to Settings > Sounds & Haptics
- Select “Text Tone”
- Choose your preferred Tone from the list under “Alert Tones”.
- You can also tap “Tone Store” to download an alert sound from the iTunes Store.
Why can’t I hear my texts when I’m on the phone?
There are a few possible reasons as to why you can’t hear your texts during your call.
1. You have the Do Not Disturb setting on.
From the top right of your screen, slide down and look for the crescent moon icon on the left of your screen. Turn it off if it seems to be on.
2. Silent Mode is on
On the top left side of your iPhone device, look for the Silent switch. You would know if it is on Silent Mode when you see the orange is showing. Switch it back to turn it off.
3. Check your settings
- Go to Settings > Messages > Notifications
- Make sure “Allow Notifications” is turned on
- Make sure “Sounds” is turned on so you can hear the texts.
4. Your contact has “Hide Alerts” enabled
If the issue is happening only for a specific contact sending you text messages, check if “Hide Alerts” is turned on for this contact.
Go to your Messages and check the name of the contact who is texting you.If you see a bell with a slash at the right side of their name, it means you have “Hide Alerts” turned on for them.
To turn it off, swipe left on their message until the purple bell and delete icon appear on the right side of the screen. Then tap on the bell icon to turn off “Hide Alerts”.
Why does my iMessage not work when I’m on the phone?
You can normally send messages while being on a call. If you’re unable to, here are a few things to check:
Check your connection
Even if you’re on a call, iMessages can be sent as long as your phone is connected to a Wi-Fi or cellular data connection, so make sure that you are connected to one of those to send an iMessage.
Check your phone carrier
If you are using cellular data and you’re able to receive a call but unable to send iMessages, you should check with your carrier if there are issues with your cellular data, including:
- Are there technical disruptions?
- Are there limits on your data plan?
- Does your device use CDMA? CDMA doesn’t transmit or receive data during calls
Turn off iMessage and reboot your device
If this seems to be a persistent issue whether you’re on a call or not, try this option to reset your iMessage and device to get it working again.
- Go to Settings.
- Tap on Messages.
- Tap the button next to iMessage to turn it off.
- Hold the power button until you see the Slide to Power Off option appear on your screen.
- Slide your finger across the bar to turn off the phone.
- Wait for a few seconds then turn the iPhone back on.
- Head back to Settings then Messages.
- Tap the button next to iMessage to turn it on.
Do iMessages deliver when talking on the phone?
An iMessage can be sent as long as the device is connected to Wi-Fi or a cellular data connection, including when you’re on a call. If you have issues getting iMessages delivered while on a call, check the following.
1. Check your network connection
Check if your Wi-Fi or cellular data is functioning properly first. If you are on a call, you can check this by opening your Safari browser and trying to access a webpage. If you are unable to, the issue may be your data connection.
2. Does your device use CDMA or LTE?
iPhones that use CDMA can’t transmit or receive data during calls. Only devices that use LTE or VoLTE are able to do so. If you’re unsure which device you are using,check with your carrier.
3. Turn iMessage Off and then back On
Sometimes iMessage can experience bugs that require a restart.
- Go to Settings > Messages
- Tap the button next to iMessage to turn it off.
- Tap the button again to turn it back on.
See also: How To Fix iMessage Not Saying Delivered
iMessages are sent as text messages when I’m on a call
If, when on a call, your iMessages are being sent as text messages, check the following:
1. Is the recipient of your iMessage an Apple device?
iMessages only work between Apple devices. If the recipient is not an iOS device, your iMessages will automatically be converted to regular text messages.
2. Check your network connection
As iMessages depend on the presence of Wi-Fi or cellular data, a lack of data connection may send your iMessage as a text message instead (depending on your settings).
If you do not want your iMessage to be sent as a text message regardless of your connection setting, you can do the following:
- Go to Settings > Messages
- Scroll down to “Send as SMS”
- Tap on the green switch on the right to turn it off
3. Does your device use CDMA?
As mentioned, devices that use CDMA are unable to send an iMessage during a call, however they can receive SMS or text messages during a call instead.
Can I play a recording while on the phone?
You can play a recording while you’re on a call. You will hear both the audio and the call, although the call volume will be lowered. This also applies if you put your call on speaker mode.
The person on the other side of the call will not hear the audio as well.
While you can hear audio on an iPhone during a call, you can’t do anything that requires using the microphone. For example, you can’t do a voice recording or make a voice memo while on a call.
You also can’t shoot videos or use Siri while you’re on a call, as they all require the use of a mic.
See also: See also: iPhone Audio Message Not Working
How do you open an app while talking on iPhone?
When you’re on a call on iPhone, you can simply press the home button (if you have one) or swipe up from the bottom of the screen to go back to your home screen while the call is still ongoing.
From the home screen, you can then access and launch any app just like you do when you’re not on a call.
As long as you’re on call, you’ll see a green call bar or call button displayed at the top of your screen while you’re using other apps. Click on the call bar or button to get back to the call screen, e.g. to end the call.
Note that if the other person ends the call, you don’t need to return to the call screen, you can just keep using the app you’re in.
How do I go to Home screen on iPhone during call?
Just as how you leave the call screen, press the home button or swipe up from bottom when you’re on the call screen.
Can you talk and text at the same time on T Mobile?
You can talk and text at the same time on T-Mobile as long as you have the VoLTE (Voice over LTE) service available.
If your T-Mobile service plan has VoLTE enabled, here’s what you can do to ensure that this is enabled on your iPhone:
- Go to Settings
- Tap on Cellular
- Tap on Cellular Data Options
- Tap on Voice & Data
- Tap on LTE, VoLTE to turn it on
Be sure your software is up to date to ensure this works perfectly.
Can you iMessage while on FaceTime?
You can do both iMessage and FaceTime at the same time as both iMessage and FaceTime require Wi-Fi or cellular data. So as long as you have enough cellular data to support both, there should be no issues or disruptions in using either of them.