Are you unable to access WiFi or your mobile network, and wondering if it’s possible for your Android device to connect to an iPhone personal hotspot?
It’s possible and easy for an Android device to connect to an iPhone hotspot. A mobile hotspot allows you to share your iPhone’s internet connection with any other mobile device. The iPhone will act as a scaled-down router and modem.
- Can Android use the iPhone hotspot?
- How do I share my mobile data on iPhone?
- Why can’t I connect my iPhone hotspot to an Android phone?
- How do you Bluetooth tether from Android to iPhone?
- Is WiFi or Bluetooth tethering better for connecting an Android to iPhone?
- How can I share my mobile data with an Android without a hotspot?
- How do I use my iPhone as a Bluetooth hotspot?
- Can I connect more than 3 Android devices to my iPhone hotspot?
- Can I use my iPhone as a hotspot for my Android TV?
- How to kick Android device from Personal hotspot?
- How to kick Android devices from Bluetooth tethering?
- What security type is an iPhone hotspot?
Can Android use the iPhone hotspot?
We all know how secure iPhones are, which makes one wonder whether an android phone can even connect to a hotspot created by an iPhone.
Android phones can access the iPhone’s hotspot without issues. An iPhone can share its mobile data using the feature known as “Personal Hotspot”.
A hotspot broadcasts a data connection by making your smartphone into a scaled-down router so that the nearby devices can connect to the hotspot as they would connect to a WiFi network to access the internet.
iPhone has the feature under the name “Personal Hotspot”. An Android device is capable of using it because the network created by the hotspot looks like a normal WiFi connection the Android can connect to.
How do I share my mobile data on iPhone?
Follow the below steps if you are looking to share a mobile network via iPhone’s hotspot:
- Open Settings.
- Make sure that mobile data is switched on. If not then tap Mobile Data and select your preferred network.
- Then tap on “Personal Hotspot”.
- Switch the toggle “Allow Others to Join” to ON.
- Set a password for the personal hotspot, to avoid unauthorized access to your hotspot.
- If you want to change the default name given to the hotspot network, then go to “Settings > General > About” and change the “Name” value accordingly.
- Now switch to the android device.
- Go to settings and select WiFi settings.
- Select the hotspot network you created & enter the password.
You’ll now have access to the internet on your Android device using the data connection from your iPhone.
Why can’t I connect my iPhone hotspot to an Android phone?
If you’re having trouble connecting to the iPhone hotspot, try following these steps:
- Restart the iPhone
- Restart the android phone
- Check whether your iPhone still has an active mobile data connection and an active data plan.
- Make sure you have the latest iOS version running on your iPhone. To check for an iOS update:
- Go to “Settings > About > Software Update”
- Make sure “Allow to Join” is enabled in iPhone personal hotspot settings as seen above.
- Double-check the password on the iPhone and re-enter it on the Android
- On the iPhone, under “Settings > Personal Hotspot”, switch “Maximize Compatibility” on (WARNING: This might slow down the internet speed a bit).
- One last step that Apple suggests is to reset the network settings (not to worry, your data will stay intact).
- Go to “Settings > General > Reset”,
- Select “Reset Network Settings”.
How do you Bluetooth tether from Android to iPhone?
To share the data connection from Android device to iPhone via Bluetooth tether, follow these steps:
- Open “Settings > Connections”.
- Switch Bluetooth on
- Tap Mobile Hotspot and Tethering.
- Switch ON Bluetooth tethering.
Is WiFi or Bluetooth tethering better for connecting an Android to iPhone?
Both come with their own set of pros and cons.
Bluetooth tethering limits the number of connections allowed to only one, which might be a bit of a hurdle in case you want a larger group to access the iPhone’s network.
In this type of situation, sharing the iPhone’s network via hotspot is a more sensible way as it can allow up to 5 device connections at a time.
Bluetooth tethering is good when it comes to sharing the network to just one device, as it consumes battery at a lower rate as compared to when the network is being shared via hotspot.
Since the iPhone is always a little heavy on battery consumption, it might be a better option to go with Bluetooth tethering in this situation.
On the other hand, Bluetooth tethering offers lower speed as compared to hotspot. Also, calls may drop while you’re using Bluetooth tethering.
On the other hand, Bluetooth tethering offers lower speed as compared to hotspots. Below is a test run with the same iPhone while sharing the data by hotspot and Bluetooth tethering.
Also, when you are connected via Bluetooth tethering, if the iPhone or the Android device gets a call in the middle, the connection might break as it may try to connect to a nearby Bluetooth audio device.
How can I share my mobile data with an Android without a hotspot?
Maybe enabling a hotspot on the iPhone is becoming a problem and not coming through for you? You can also connect to iPhone’s network via Bluetooth tethering.
The benefit of Bluetooth tethering is that it’s as easy as connecting any other Bluetooth device. It also drains the battery less compared to the hotspot.
How do I use my iPhone as a Bluetooth hotspot?
iPhones are also capable of sharing their mobile data connection through Bluetooth. To set up the network sharing via Bluetooth, follow the following steps:
- Open “Settings > Bluetooth” on iPhone and switch it ON.
- Leave the Bluetooth screen open until you are connected.
- Switch over to the Android Bluetooth settings and pair it with the iPhone.
- Request for internet access from Android and you are ready to use the iPhone’s network using Bluetooth tethering.
Can I connect more than 3 Android devices to my iPhone hotspot?
It is possible to connect more than 3 android devices to the iPhone’s hotspot. iPhone’s hotspot supports network sharing to up to 5 devices.
The only disadvantage with connecting this many devices is that they may be fighting for bandwidth, thus resulting in low data speed across the devices.
Can I use my iPhone as a hotspot for my Android TV?
The iPhone’s hotspot can also be used to lend its internet connection to an Android TV. it’s as easy as sharing it with any other android device around.
Follow the same steps for setting up the hotspot in an iPhone as seen above by browsing over to Settings > Personal Hotspot and enable Allow to Join & set the password for the network.
For connecting the Android TV to iPhone’s hotspot:
- Open Settings on your Android TV by pressing the button with a gear icon present on the TV’s remote.
- Next, select “Network & Internet – WiFi” which would list all the available networks all-around your Android TV.
- If you are unable to see your network listed, enable “Scanning always available” and try again.
- Select the network matching your iPhone’s hotspot and enter the password.
- Press connect.
You should now be able to access your iPhone’s internet connection on the Android TV.
How to kick Android device from Personal hotspot?
Kicking an Android device or any other device connected to your Personal Hotspot isn’t that straightforward.
You can change the password for the iPhone’s hotspot set earlier, which will terminate the existing connections to the connected devices. These devices will be required to enter the password again.
To change the password for iPhone’s hotspot:
- Open “Settings > Personal Hotspot”.
- Tap on the “WiFi Password” field.
- Enter the new password.
How to kick Android devices from Bluetooth tethering?
If you are sharing the iPhone’s internet connection via Bluetooth tethering and want to kick out a connected Android device, all you need to do is unpair the device from the Bluetooth settings of your iPhone.
To unpair and disconnect the device connected, follow these steps:
- Open “Settings > Bluetooth” on iPhone.
- Locate the connected Android device.
- Press the “i” icon just beside the paired device’s name.
- This will take you to the paired device settings.
- Tap on “Forget this device”
This will terminate your network being shared through Bluetooth tethering.
What security type is an iPhone hotspot?
Before the release of iOS 15, iPhone’s hotspot used to be secured using the old WPA2 security protocol. With the release of iOS 15, the hotspot will be protected using the WPA3 security protocol which is even more secure than WPA2.
WPA stands for “WiFi Protected Access”. WPA2 is a security protocol developed by the WiFi alliance in late 2004 which used AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) instead of the old WPA protocol.
WPA3 is a security protocol offering more security features compared to WPA2. It secures the network against weak passwords that can be cracked easily probably just by guessing.