The home screen on your smartphone or tablet, besides displaying the apps you have installed, allows you to pin your favorite web pages for quick access regardless of which browser you’re using.
If the Add To Home Screen option disappears on your Android, the reason may be an outdated browser version, access permission issues, or cache problems. To fix the issue, you can try rebooting your phone, clearing the cache, and/or reinstalling the Chrome updates.
Add to Home Screen (A2HS) is a part of the Progressive Web App platform that allows users to enjoy the same access permission for the web apps they’re experiencing with the native applications. You can use the “Add to Home Screen” option to add a shortcut to your home screen from the browser app.
Sometimes, however, the “Add to home screen” is missing from the menu on chrome mobile. Read on to find out how to fix this issue.
- How do I enable Add to Home Screen?
- Why is my Add to Home Screen button not working?
- Why are my shortcuts not working in Android?
- How do I enable shortcuts on Android?
- Adding a contact to Android home screen
- Icons greyed out on Android
- Where are Android home screen shortcuts stored?
- How to put Google Drive on my Home Screen?
- Installed app not showing on my home screen
- Android apps are updated but not icons
How do I enable Add to Home Screen?
No “Add to home screen” in the menu on chrome mobile? Worry not! Multiple users are facing issues on Chrome mobile, and here are some solutions to solve the problem. You can try and find out which method works best for you:
Method 1: Reboot
Try rebooting your smartphone, as many smartphone issues are fixed by simply restarting or rebooting. Some users were able to solve the issue with this method.
Method 2: Clear the Cache:
If method one doesn’t work, try clearing the cache of your Chrome browser. You can do it by following the simple steps.
- Go to settings and click on the apps
- Find the Chrome app and tap on Storage.
- Tap the “Clear Cache” button
Method 3: Reinstalling the Chrome updates
Sometimes, the Chrome updates might not be installed properly, or a bug causes the “Add to Home Screen” option to vanish. Follow these simple steps to reinstall the updates:
- Go to Google Play Store and search for Chrome
- Tap Uninstall to delete the chrome updates.
- Once deleted, relaunch the Play Store
- Tap “Update” to reinstall the Chrome Updates.
Why is my Add to Home Screen button not working?
There can be multiple reasons why the “Add to Home screen” option is not working on your smartphone. Here are some possible issues along with their tested solution.
Problem: Access Denied
No matter which app you’re using, you need to allow access to internal Storage.
Solution: grant access to Internal storage
Make sure you’ve allowed the permission for Storage to Chrome browser to add shortcuts to the home screen.
- Go to Settings -> Apps and Notifications.
- Find Chrome in the list and go to Permissions
- Tap on the Storage option
- “Allow” access to your internal Storage.
Problem: Shortcut Access
Sometimes, your smartphone might experience problems with “Shortcut Access.” If the “add to home screen” option isn’t working, check if the application has the permission to add shortcuts!
Solution: grant access to application
- Long press the application’s icon for which you want to use the “add to home screen” option.
- Go to “App info” and click on “App Permissions” (or “Other Permissions” in some devices)
- Tap the “Home Screen Shortcuts” option and “Allow.”
Why are my shortcuts not working in Android?
Sometimes, the shortcuts added to your home screen from Chrome aren’t working. Other frequence issues are the shortcut to an app or website may disappear from your home screen, or a toast notification saying a shortcut link is broken appears on the home screen.
There can be several reasons for your shortcuts not working in Android:
- Your smartphone may not be able to update the shortcut after a Chrome update.
- The link associated with the web or app shortcut on your home screen is broken
- You may have installed a launcher that is unable to gather the data after an update
Solution 1: re-add the shortcuts
The fastest and most efficient solution to your shortcuts not working is to re-add them. To do this:
- Tap and hold on the app to remove the shortcut
- re-add the shortcut as you did before
The shortcut should now work fine.
Solution 2: clear the cache
If the above method doesn’t work, you can try clearing your phone cache which contains temporary data for your applications.
In most smartphones, you can enter the recovery menu by pressing the power button and the volume key simultaneously. Navigate through the options on the screen and select “Clear Cache”.
Note: Make sure not to select the “Factory Reset” option as this will wipe up all the data.
Once done, reboot your device, and your shortcuts should work again.
How do I enable shortcuts on Android?
Here are the steps to add a shortcut to your home screen on Android:
Step 1: Go to your phone’s settings and look for permissions.
Note: You may need to click on “Apps” > “Permissions” in some devices.
Step 2: Go to “Other Permissions” -> “Home Screen Shortcuts”.
Step 3: Enable shortcuts for the apps you want.
Adding a contact to Android home screen
Adding a contact to the home screen allows you to call or text that person quickly:
Step 1: pinch the home screen or long tap on it to see the Home Screen Options.
Step 2: Once the options appear, click on the Widgets and look for the “Contact’s Widget.”
Step 3: From there, choose a contact and add it to the home screen.
You can now call or text the added contact directly from the home screen without opening the contacts list .
Icons greyed out on Android
Sometimes you may find the app icons on your smartphone home screen are greyed out. One possible reason is if the application was moved to an SD card which then got corrupted. Another possible cause is that the app shortcut on your home screen is broken.
Make sure the application experiencing the icon greyed out issue is installed on the phone’s internal storage. If the application has been moved to the SD card after installation, check the SD card mounting.
- Go to settings .> Storage
- Check if the SD card is mounted
- If not, remove the SD card and mount it again.
Note: You may need to re-add the app’s shortcut on the home screen if it’s greyed out even after mounting the SD card.
Where are Android home screen shortcuts stored?
All the information displayed on your Android home screen is stored in your internal Storage. Likewise, the shortcuts you’re adding to your home screen are stored in the system database under the specific path location.
Most Android launchers, including the stock Android, Nova Launcher, Smart Launcher Pro, Slim Launcher, and Apex Launcher, store the shortcut data inside a specific data directory. The data directory is /data/com.android.launcher3/database/launcher.
How to put Google Drive on my Home Screen?
Adding Google Drive to your home screen allows you to access your Drive storage directly with a single tap. Here’s how:
- Open the Google Drive App and navigate to the parent directory.
- Long-press the folder for which you want to create a shortcut on your home screen.
- Tap on the three vertical dots from the opened menu -> select on Add to Home Screen.
Installed app not showing on my home screen
If an application installed on your phone is missing from the home screen, there can be several possible reasons:
- The application isn’t actually installed on the phone.
- If you’ve installed a third party Android launcher, the Launcher may have an issue.
- The applications are automatically moved to a folder on the home screen.
Solutions can vary depending on the smartphone model. This one works best for most smartphones:
- Go to the Search bar and type in the application’s name
- Tap on the “Position” icon in in front of the name
- The phone will redirect you to the position of the app on the home screen.
Android apps are updated but not icons
An application’s icon rarely receives an update from the developer with every new version of the app, so the application’s icon will often remain unchanged.
However, if the icon has received an update but you see the same icon on the home screen, simply rebooting the device will usually solve the problem.
See also: Why Do My Apps Randomly Install?