Western Digital (WD) My Cloud is a popular series of personal cloud and network-attached storage (NAS) devices. How do you connect your Western Digital My Cloud network-attached storage device to your mobile for backing up and accessing your files?
To connect your My Cloud to your mobile, by linking the My Cloud device to a router and connect the mobile to the same wireless network. Once you create a My Cloud account, install the My Cloud mobile app. Log into the app to backup and access your files on My Cloud from your mobile.
Read on to also find out how to access WD My Cloud from File Explorer on a PC, and transfer files from My Cloud to your computer.
How do I get to My Cloud on my phone?
The procedure to get to My Cloud on your Android phone or iPhone involves the following steps
- Turn on your My Cloud device.
- Connect your My Cloud to the router. Make sure your smartphone is connected to the same wireless network as your My Cloud device.
- Open a browser on your phone and browse to: https://os5.mycloud.com/setup.
- Choose the My Cloud device you want to set up to access its web configuration dashboard.
- Setup your administrator name and password for accessing your account locally.
- Input the information required for setting up a My Cloud.com user account, which includes your first name, last name, email address, and password.
- You can then log in to the MyCloud.com account to access data from MyCloud.com.
- You can also use the My Cloud mobile app, which can be installed from your device’s app store, to access your My Cloud device on your mobile.
Read on to find out how to set up the My Cloud mobile app on Android and Apple devices.
Does WD My Cloud need to be connected to router?
The WD My Cloud is designed to connect to the local network WiFi router (e.g. at your home) or a local network switch with a linked WiFi router using the Ethernet port.
The My Cloud can be connected to one of the networking ports on the WiFi router. .
This allows any WiFi-enabled device such as a computer, tablet, or smartphone to access the My Cloud box.
Note that the My Cloud is not a Wi-Fi storage device and does not have an internal WiFi card. Your WiFi router manages connectivity between My Cloud and your WiFi connected devices.
Can I connect directly to WD My Cloud?
You can connect your WD My Cloud to a computer directly via an Ethernet cable. This can be useful if your computer is far from the WiFi network or the network is unavailable and you need to gain access to WD My Cloud from your computer.
For Mac computers, the connection process is easy in that it will assign the IP address to itself to connect to the WD My Cloud.
On a PC, on the other hand, you need to set static IP addresses on both the WD My Cloud and your computer to set up a connection.
Can I use WD My Cloud without Internet?
You can access and transfer files to the WD My Cloud without an internet connection. For this, you need to link the storage device through LAN (Local Area Network) by direct a connection to your computer via an Ethernet cable.
You can use the Ethernet port on both your computer and WD My Cloud. If your computer doesn’t have an Ethernet port, you can get a USB to Ethernet adapter and use the WD My Cloud through the local network.
Why can’t I connect to my WD cloud?
If your My Cloud device is showing up on your network but you can’t connect it, there could be different reasons behind the issue:.
Missing or corrupted credentials
If My Cloud can’t be accessed on your PC, it’s possible that the My Cloud account has not been added to your list of Windows credentials or has been corrupted.
To resolve this:
- Go to the Control Panel>User Accounts > Manage Your credentials > Windows Credentials
- Click Add a Windows credential.
- Enter your My Cloud name in the Internet or network address bar along with the username and password.
- Click OK and restart your PC.
You are running an older version of My Cloud firmware
You might be experiencing share access failure when trying to access My Cloud share on a PC.
To fix this you need to update the firmware on your My Cloud device to the latest version. This can be done in the Firmware section of Settings in the My Cloud dashboard.
To access the My Cloud dashboard on your computer, follow these steps:
- Double check your computer and My Cloud device are on the same network.
- Open a web browser on your computer and enter the name or IP address of your My Cloud device in the address bar. PC users should browse to http://wdmycloud/ while Mac users must access http://wdmycloud.local/
- A Login screen will show up, enter your local account username and password.
- Click Login to gain access to your My Cloud device dashboard.
Failed connection error
On a Mac computer, you may experience your My Cloud device showing up in Finder but giving you a failed connection error.
The issue can be resolved as follows:
- Click on the “Connect As” button on the right side of the Finder window
- Enter the username and password you’ve set for accessing the device
- Click “Remember this password in my Keychain”.
This last step will allow autofill of your username and password when you click on the My Cloud device in the Finder Shared listing, and will mount it on your desktop.
Why can’t I see my cloud on my network?
Not seeing the My Cloud device on your network is a commonly encountered problem. Here are the few possible causes and solutions of this issue:
Router failure and damaged cable
A router issue or a damaged Ethernet cable could be the reason why your My Cloud isn’t showing on your network.
Another possible reason is your computer might not be connected to the same router as My Cloud.
You can change the cable and reboot the router. If things don’t work you can also perform a 4-second reset of your My Cloud device through the Reset button on the back.
SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is disabled
If WD My Cloud is not showing under Windows 10 network, it may indicate that SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support is disabled. You need to enable this for My Cloud to show up and network browsing to be turned on.
- Go to the Control panel>Programs and Features>Turn Windows features on or off
- Make sure the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support box and its sub-boxes are ticked
- Click OK and restart your computer.
Incorrect network settings
Incorrect network settings can also be a probable cause. If so, you may need to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on your PC for My Cloud to show up on your Network.
- Right-click Local Area Connection and choose Properties
- Head over to Internet Protocol Version 4>Properties>Advanced>WINS
- Enable Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP
- Click OK.
What is the IP address for WD My Cloud?
Your WD My Cloud device also has an IP address that can be used as a network identity.
You can find out the IP address of your connected WD My Cloud device through network scanning apps on your smartphone such as Fing. This particular app is available for both Android and iOS devices from their respective app store.
Once the app is installed, simply scan your network in the app to find the IP address of the WD My Cloud device. The IP is typically 192.168.1.1, but it may be different on your network.
How do I set up a static IP address for WD My Cloud home?
It’s not possible to set up a static IP address for WD My Cloud Home device. In contrast, it can be done for other My Cloud products such as My Cloud Mirror.
With regards to My Cloud Home, you need to configure the router for DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol) Reservation. It’s a feature on most home routers that provides access to networked devices using a specific IP address when setting up a static IP address is impossible.
How do I connect my WD My Cloud to my laptop?
The easiest way to access files and folders on your WD My Cloud is by visiting the https://www.mycloud.com/ using a browser on your laptop:
- Browse to the above link.
- In the section named My Cloud on the right, choose Sign in to My Cloud.
- Choose your My Cloud device and sign in with your MyCloud.com email address and password.
- Browse through your files and folders and click on them for access.
If you haven’t created a My Cloud account yet, you can also visit https://files.mycloud.com/setup in a browser on your laptop. Click on Get started and follow the instructions to set up your personal cloud and create an account.
How do I access WD My Cloud in File Explorer?
You can also access the files and folders on My Cloud over your local network in File Explorer as follows:
- Right-click the Start menu and click on File Explorer.
- In the File Explorer window, click on Network.
- Enter the name or IP address of the My Cloud device in the address bar of File Explorer.
- Enter your My Cloud local account credentials, click OK.
You can also map your network drive to allow quick access to its folders locally in File Explorer and avoid entering the My Cloud’s network address each time you wish to access the files.
You can map your WD My Cloud Public folder in the following way:
- Open File Explorer in Windows 10 and click on Network.
- Locate your drive in the same way as described above.
- Right-click the Public folder and choose Map Network Drive from the menu that appears.
- Choose an available drive letter from the drop-down list.
- Input the location of the My Cloud device folder e.g. (\\WDMYCLOUD\Public).
- Make sure that the Reconnect at Logon box is ticked.
Can I use my cloud as external hard drive?
Your My Cloud device can’t be used as an external hard disk in the usual way that you plug it into your computer and carry it around with you. You can’t simply transfer files and folders to and from My Cloud drive like an external hard drive over a USB connection.
Your WD My Cloud is network-attached storage and a personal cloud device. Once it’s set up and used correctly, you can access and store your data from any device and from any location in the world.
How do I transfer files from WD My Cloud to my computer?
You can transfer files from your WD My Cloud device to your PC or Mac computer. Once you have connected your My Cloud device to your network, follow these steps:
On a Windows PC
- Open File Explorer and click on Network.
- Find and double-click on your My Cloud device and enter your local user account username and password to log in.
- Locate the Public shared folder on your My Cloud device and double click on it.
- You can now drag and drop files from the Public shared folder into your computer.
On a Mac Computer
- Open the Finder window.
- From the side menu, choose Network under Locations.
- Double-click your My Cloud device and enter the credentials of your local user account.
- Find the Public shared folder on the device and double-click on it.
- You can drag and drop files from the Public shared folder into your computer.
Can I connect WD My Cloud via USB?
You can’t connect your computer to the WD My Cloud’s USB port. You can only connect USB devices such as external hard drives or flash drives to the WD My Cloud’s USB port.
The USB port found on the back of WD My Cloud is utilized for storage increase. It’s also used for backing up the data from your WD My Cloud to the attached USB drive or vice versa.
How do I set up WD My Cloud app?
Make sure your WD My Cloud device is powered on and connected to the same wireless network as your phone. You can set up the WD My Cloud app on your phone in the following way:
- Download and install the WD My Cloud app from the app store.
- If you are using the app for the first time, sign in to your My Cloud account by entering the associated email address and password.
- Select the WD My Cloud device that you need to add to the My Cloud app from the available devices.
- You will then be offered to automatically back up all the photos and videos you take with your smartphone. You can enable auto-backup for this purpose.
- Allow the app to access your phone and choose the auto backup location on your WD My Cloud device.
- In the app’s home screen, select your WD My Cloud device from the listing menu to browse through your folders and files on your personal cloud.
- You can tap on folders and files to access and view them.