iPhone reset allows you to reset all the settings and content from your iPhone to factory default state. But does iPhone reset remove your Apple ID?
There are two types of reset methods on iPhone, “Reset All Settings” and “Erase All Contents and Settings.” The “Reset All Settings” option does not remove your Apple ID, while factory reset or “Erase All Contents and Settings” does.
However, if you are using iOS 14 or earlier, you may need to delete your iCloud account first before resetting your device. In earlier versions of iOS, performing a reset does not remove Apple ID from the device if the “Find My iPhone” feature is enabled.
- Will resetting an iPhone remove the Apple ID?
- Does “Erase all content” remove Apple ID?
- How do I factory reset my iPhone without an Apple ID?
- Does erasing all content and settings delete iCloud?
- Do I need to log out of iTunes / iCloud before resetting my iPhone?
- Will “Reset all settings” in iPhone delete all my apps and contacts?
- Does erasing all content and settings remove my iPhone’s line?
- How do I remove an Apple ID from an iPhone without a password after restoring?
Will resetting an iPhone remove the Apple ID?
There are two different methods for resetting an iPhone with different functionalities.
The first method is to reset all the settings on the iPhone, including the Network, keyboard, Location & Privacy, and Home screen layout settings.
When you perform this kind of reset, all your settings will be reset to factory default. However, your device remains logged in to your Apple ID, and none of your data gets removed.
The other reset method is factory reset aka “Erase All Content and Settings.” This kind of reset removes everything from your iPhone, including all the settings, data, and Apple ID.
However, assuming you’ve backed up your data to iCloud, it will remain on the iCloud server and you can restore the backup onto your iPhone.
Note that if your iPhone gets stolen, trying to restore the iPhone using iTunes on a computer will trigger an activation lock for the thief. our iPhone cannot be accessed without your Apple ID.
Does “Erase all content” remove Apple ID?
When you perform the operation “Erase All Content & Settings” on your iPhone, all your media files, settings, and accounts, including your Apple ID, will be removed from your device.
Your iPhone will require you to enter the password for your Apple ID before proceeding to erasing the data on the phone.
After the operation completes, your iPhone will appear as if it just came out of the box, without any data and settings stored on it (factory state).
How to remove Apple ID from iPhone?
You can remove the Apple ID from an iPhone through the settings as follows:
- Go to Settings > tap your profile name at the top
- Scroll down and tap the red “Sign Out” option
- Enter the password for your Apple ID > Tap “Turn Off”
- Tap “Sign Out” again to confirm
You can also remove your Apple ID from your iPhone through the browser as follows:
- Visit appleid.apple.com > Sign in with your Apple ID
- Click “Devices” > select the iPhone you want to remove your Apple ID from
- Scroll down and choose “Remove From Account”
How do I factory reset my iPhone without an Apple ID?
“Find My iPhone” is enabled
If you have “Find My iPhone” enabled on your device, you can perform a factory reset without an Apple ID using a tool like Dr.Fone. Follow these steps to factory reset your iPhone:
- Connect your iPhone with your computer
- Install the Dr.Fone – Unlock screen (iOS) application and open it
- From the home screen, click on “Screen Unlock”
- Select “Unlock Apple ID” > Trust the computer on your iPhone
- In the prompt that appears, enter “000000” > click “Unlock”
- On your iPhone, open Settings > General > Reset > Reset All Settings
- Enter the passcode for your device to confirm
- Your Apple ID will be unlocked after a few minutes
“Find My iPhone” not enabled
Alternatively, If you don’t have “Find My iPhone”, you can reset your iPhone without an Apple ID using iTunes.
You first need to put your iPhone into recovery mode before proceeding with the restore. Here’s how to enter recovery mode depending on your iPhone version.
For iPhone 8 or later versions (iPhone X, 11, 12, 13)
follow these steps to enter into recovery mode:
- Establish a connection between your iPhone and your computer using a USB cable
- Open iTunes on your computer
- Press the volume up button once on your iPhone and release it
- Press the volume down button for once and release it
- press the power button on the side of your iPhone and hold it until you see a computer or iTunes logo. Do not release it even if you see an Apple logo.
For iPhone 7 or 7 Plus
Follow these steps for forcing iPhone 7 or 7 Plus into recovery mode:
- Connect your iPhone to your computer using a USB cable
- Open iTunes on your computer
- Press and hold the power button and the volume down button on your iPhone simultaneously, and do not release it even if you see the Apple logo on your screen.
- Keep holding the power and volume down button until you see the “Connect to iTunes” or “Connect to computer” logo on your screen.
For iPhone 6s or earlier:
- Connect your iPhone to your Mac or PC and open iTunes
- Press and hold the power and home buttons simultaneously on iPhone, and do not release them even if the Apple logo appears
- Keep holding these buttons until you see the “Connect to computer” or “Connect to iTunes” icon
After you have entered recovery mode, the “Connect to computer” or “Connect to iTunes” logo appears on your iPhone screen.
At this point, your computer automatically detects the device and displays a prompt, providing you with options to update or restore your device.
Choose “Restore” and your device will be reset in a few minutes without entering an Apple ID.
Does erasing all content and settings delete iCloud?
Erasing all content and settings will completely erase everything from your iPhone, including your data, accounts, Apple Pay, as well as your iCloud.
However, the data stored in iCloud account (on cloud servers) will not be affected and can be restored using iCloud backup and restore.
People usually erase all content and settings from their iOS devices when they plan to sell or transfer the device.
Note that while the device will be unlinked from iCloud, the data stored in iCloud account (cloud servers) will not be removed and can be later restored from iCloud.
Also, erasing all content and settings will only delete your iCloud account from that specific device. All the other devices in which your iCloud is logged in will not be deleted.
How can I remove iCloud from my iPhone?
You can remove an iCloud account from your iPhone through the device settings.
Removing an iCloud account is the same as removing an Apple ID from an iPhone. See section “How to remove Apple ID from iPhone?” above. .
Do I need to log out of iTunes / iCloud before resetting my iPhone?
If you are using iOS 14 or earlier, you need to first log out of your iCloud account before resetting your iPhone. If you don’t , you will be required to enter your Apple ID and password after the reset.
Before iOS 14, Apple ID was not required to factory reset an iPhone, so it’s important to first sign out of the iCloud account before a reset to avoid the Apple ID prompt after the reset is complete.
From iOS 14.1, users can now reset their device without logging out of their iCloud manually beforehand, using the option “Erase all content and Settings.”
When you factory reset your iPhone using “Erase all content and Settings” in iOS 14.1 or later, you are only requested to enter your Apple ID password, and you automatically get logged out of your iCloud/Apple ID before the reset process begins.
After the reset, the device will no longer ask you to enter the Apple ID and password.
Will “Reset all settings” in iPhone delete all my apps and contacts?
“Reset all settings” does not delete any media files, contacts, or apps on your iPhone. None of your personal data stored on your iPhone is removed from your device.
However, the following settings will be reset to factory default:
- Network settings
- Privacy settings
- Keyboard dictionary settings
- Location settings
- Apple pay card
Does erasing all content and settings remove my iPhone’s line?
A phone line is a telecommunication channel that allows two or more devices (phones) to communicate with each other.
A phone line is activated using a Sim card, and you need to insert a Sim card into your device to place phone calls, receive cellular messages, or use cellular data.
Activating a phone line is a one-time process, and if you have activated your phone line already, you will not need to activate your line again if you reset your iPhone.
You can also use your Sim card on any unlocked smartphone once you have activated your phone line.
How do I remove an Apple ID from an iPhone without a password after restoring?
If an Apple ID appears after performing the restore, it means that the activation lock is on. You can’t bypass this lock without entering the password of that Apple ID. This activation lock is basically used to protect the device.
The Apple ID prompt appears after performing the restore if the activation lock is on. If your iPhone had a passcode before restoring and two-factor authentication was enabled on your Apple ID, you can remove an Apple ID without a password after restoring.
When the activation lock appears, requiring you to enter your Apple ID and password, you can simply tap on the “Unlock With Passcode” option and enter your previous passcode to remove the Apple ID without a password.
On the other hand, if your iPhone did not have a passcode and two-factor authentication enabled, you will need to jailbreak your iPhone using tools like iSunshare iBypass Genius to remove the Apple ID after restoring it.